Tuesday, September 7, 2010

SAMMIE



Three times is a charm for Empire Entertainment recording artist Sammie. "There are not too many people that are blessed to have one, two, three opportunities to distribute their gift to the world," says the R&B sensation who exploded onto the scene at age 12 with the 1 hit single “I Like It” igniting the resurgence of child artists. His impressive platinum debut album, From the Bottom to the Top (Freeworld/Capitol), helped rekindle the youth movement lighting the way for Bow Wow, Lil’ Romeo and other child stars to blaze up the charts.


After his successful first effort and the conscious decision to put his music career on hold to experience high school, his highly anticipated sophomore album, Sammie (Empire Ent./Rowdy), furthered his plight to solidify his spot as one of the top R&B vocalists in the game. That album spawned three hit singles, including “Come With Me.” Now, the 21 year-old prodigy is back in the studio working on his third album certain to catapult him to the next level. “I’m a dreamer,” explains Sammie, “everything I think to do in life is big. I like to say I am an ordinary young man trying to do extraordinary things.” Many agree including Grammy Award winning super producer Dallas Austin who executive produced Sammie’s first two albums. “I knew when he was 12 he was incredible,” says Dallas, one of the first to recognize Sammie’s amazing vocal ability.


After a long productive relationship, Sammie split from Rowdy Records in efforts to be more hands on and involved in his own career. In 2005 he formed Empire Entertainment with his longtime manager and industry veteran, Malcolm Lee. “I’ll always have respect for Dallas because he was the first to actually give me a chance to prove myself,” says the singer and budding entrepreneur. “In a sense we started to grow apart. I just didn’t feel like that was a good place for me to expand and become the superstar that I actually see myself being. I know what I want to sound like, I know what I want to look like, I know what I want to say and I know what message I’m trying to get across to my fans. I’m feeling real confident in who I am and who I’m going to be.” His confidence and maturity shine through in the first single, “One Way Street,” off his not yet titled third project.


The infectious mid-tempo cut, produced by Adonis, exudes passion and showcases Sammie’s incredible vocal skills. Still a work in progress, Sammie says the album is sure to incorporate inspiration from some of his musical icons — Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Michael Jackson, and Usher — and of course his fans. “Everything I do I take myself out of the element and become the consumer, especially when I’m writing a record. I write about things that everyone worldwide can feel, not just Sammie, so I think a lot of people can relate to the records on my album. I sing passionately and want to touch people through my music.” He began touching people at the tender age of 4. “Nobody knew I could sing,” says the Miami native, recalling his first performance of “Troubles Don’t Last Always” in church. “I used to watch my uncles and my family do it and wanted to get up there and try. After that day they called me up every Sunday to lead a song.” Sammie attended Charles Drew Elementary, a magnet school with a performing arts program. It was there that a music teacher recruited him to join a group with two older boys who eventually auditioned for the television program “Showtime at the Apollo.”


The show responded with interest in Sammie only who performed in 1998 on an “Apollo Kids” segment. Ultimately making it to the finals in 1999, Sammie performed a breathtaking rendition of “My Cherie Amour,” which led to a call from Atlanta based entertainment executive Joyce Irby. “She flew to Florida, got me on camcorder singing, showed it to Dallas who told her ‘don’t show it to anyone else, I’m going to sign him,’” remembers Sammie who spent that summer after his sixth grade year recording his first album. Nine years later Sammie continues to bring passion, experience and undeniable talent to the music world. When he’s not making music, the self-proclaimed “Madden champ” is dominating his friends in the popular football video game, or he’s playing his second love, basketball. But ultimately, it all comes back to music. “I love music, I am music,” he says passionately,” you can’t hide what’s in you, no matter how hard you try.”

No comments:

Post a Comment